D&D Ravnica

Recent Activity RPG Discussion D&D Ravnica

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by vyrrk 5 days, 4 hours ago.

• Author
    fray
    fray

Anyone check this out yet?

It took them long enough to put out a MtG book for D&D.

I’m into it about a third and really liking it.

Please complete the required fields.

the0gekko0state
    the0gekko0state

It’s on my list to get.  I’m very intrigued by it. I’m glad to hear you’re liking it.  Is it mainly fluff?

fray
      fray

Yeah, so far. It has some history and culture of the 10 Guilds. There a guild that keeps the sewers ‘clean’, ferget the name right now, but that seems interesting to me how they would go about it. There is lots of ways to have inter-Guild drama. Plus the size of Ravnica has huge areas of unexplored/abandoned places for more adventure.

mikefrommi
    mikefrommi

While it’s the first actual book published about an MtG setting in D&D, there’ve been web supplements branded as Plane Shift for a while. Zendikar was the first in 2016, as a test run, since it’s a world of adventurers, treasure, and monsters. Innistrad came next, helped by tying in to the Ravenloft themes of Curse of Strahd. I’m less familiar with Kaladesh, Amonkhet, and Ixalan. The latest brought in MtG’s most-visited setting of Dominaria.

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Plane_Shift

I’ve not seen the book itself yet. (It’s on my Drizztmas wish list though.) I did however listen to some of the “Podcasts of Ravnica” event, where they reached out to a bunch of Actual Play RPG podcasters, and sponsored each of them for ten one-shot sessions, one for each of the guilds of Ravnica. As each group has their own playstyle, it varies a lot – I ended up skipping some. But it did manage to show off a wide variety of adventure types and motivations that can be done in the setting.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/podcasts-ravnica

oniwolf2000

I’ve picked up the book myself and look forward to diving into it.

greatwyrm
    greatwyrm

I like what was there, but it left me wanting more.  If you’re gonna sell me on a planet-wide city, you kinda gotta give me a planet-wide city.  I know they can’t reasonably fit something like that in a normal book, but even something like “here’s some handy charts for generating new ruins/swamp/desert/jungle/industrial city sections” would have been really great.

clanhanna
    clanhanna
    Host

Having not played M:tG seriously since the early 90s, I had been completely unaware of the story and culture behind the game and color combinations until I caught Spellslingers on G&S. They didn’t really go into the details of them, but I at least started to hear some of the guild names.

I saw the Ravnica D&D book at my FLGS and was wondering if it was worth it. I’m not interested in it for my current campaign, but more just for general story ideas.

ilina
    ilina

one of the variant rules for the setting is each of the guilds adds 2 options for spells known for each spell level to Sorcerers, Bards, Warlocks, Rangers and other Spontaeous casters. plus, you can change guilds while retaining spells you learned in a prior guild and some of these expanded lists are pretty flavorful.

vyrrk

I read the book. I have to say, if I didn’t have a homebrew world that I love… I would use this setting. Its different enough from the normal DnD setting and feels pretty flushed out. The art, since its from MTG, is also killer! I really love this book.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.