HJRPG2312

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Kairaku 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author
    EricfromNJ
    EricfromNJ

I noticed the hosts had a certain distaste for the “who role played the best” vote after a session idea.

If you are gifted with the role players you seem to have in the greater LA area, I would agree with you.

However, I would say it depends on the group.  I have had groups I would never do this with because they would go bonkers with it.  I have had a group though that benefitted from such a thing greatly. It caused a bunch of board game/war game type guys to remove some of their inhibitions and explore their characters.  It was pretty fun, though to make sure it didn’t degenerate into peer pressure we voted in secret.

Please complete the required fields.

Mr Cruss

Probably like communism:  it really only works with smaller groups of like–minded people…

I haven’t heard this one yet, but personally I wouldn’t leave such a thing to a vote.  I’d probably ask each player in the group to offer up their opinion on the most and the least in–character RP events from each other player, then back up those opinions with a bit of explanation.

BattleMatt
    BattleMatt

Disclaimer: I haven’t listened to the episode yet. (Saving them up for work.)

I wouldn’t want to discuss roleplaying performance at the table. I mean, we’re all in it to have fun, and we are all different. If a player isn’t motivated towards better roleplaying when surrounded by better roleplayers, chances are they can’t, or just won’t do it. Why pressure them into it? I want people to have fun at my table, and performance expectations isn’t part of the recipe for “fun”.

That being said, I can see the point that @EricfromNJ makes, when having only inhibited boardgamers at the table. Good move making the voting anonymous, removing pressure. (y)

whodo
    whodo
    Patreon Supporter

I was a player in a game that tried the vote on best RP each session and I think it lasted all of about 3 sessions because it became apparent that we would end up just rotating who we voted for to ensure nobody was left out. Part of that was down to use all being good friends but it was also because we were playing Scion and the bonus XP was enough that over the span of a campaign the bonus XP could be enough to make quite a difference in the power levels.

EricfromNJ
    EricfromNJ

Continuing to listen.  Yeah Bleed is a very real fear for me especially when LARPing because you sometimes play the same character for 24+ hours. Sometimes all you can do is walk away and know you cannot work with someone’s character.

OFTHEHILLPEOPLE

I’m just here for the CADave stimulation.

AndreasDavour
    Patreon Supporter

I actually had a different experience. When we used the popular vote for XP bonus, it went to the most active guy all the time. That was why I dropped it. the idea is good, but hard to implement well.

d47
    d47

Are the shows being kept short intentionally? Stu mentioned something about going over time at the end of a recent episode.

Personally, I am disappointed when they don’t last at least 90 minutes. I also enjoy hearing host discussions about other TV, movies, comics and books.

Kairaku
    Kairaku

Huzzah!!! Agree completely.  More randomness for all😋

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.