HJRPG2313 – Jason Cordova and The Gauntlet

Recent Activity Happy Jacks RPG Advice Show HJRPG2313 – Jason Cordova and The Gauntlet

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by BattleMatt 2 days, 17 hours ago.

• Author
    tomes
    tomes

Per twitter at https://twitter.com/happyjacksrpg/status/1083509960233742338:

This week, Jason of @GauntletRPG is our special guest on Happy Jacks #RPG podcast! We will talk about the community he has built, inclusive gaming and answer emails sent in by YOU! 7pm PT at http://happyjacks.org/live  or get it Monday on your fave pod catcher! #ttrpg

This is a mash-up of two of my favorite gaming communities in one place! Can’t wait to see what happens.

For those unfamiliar with The Gauntlet , it’s an online gaming community responsible for the Codex zine publishing (including a successful Kickstarter to publish the first year in a hardbound book), a daily blog, and yearly online game con, and one of my favorite places on the net. I’m also the official “Community Care Coordinator” (aka newbie greeter), and occasional contribute to some smaller parts of the Codex and appear in small bits on a podcast recording here and there.

Anyways, hope to see some of y’all in the chatroom tonight!

Please complete the required fields.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by tomes.
    tomes
    tomes

A related links: CATS (Concept, Aim, Tone, Subject matter) that Jason C. talks about (about an hour in) is found at http://proleary.com/2016/04/25/the-cats-method-a-story-telling-game-opening-ritual/, or my cheat sheet at http://bit.ly/RPG-CATS-cs-3×5.

Fredrix

Ouch! The distortion on Jason’s voice was painful. I had to stop listening twice. In the end to was better on earphones than speakers.

There is a danger of “quantum ogre” when a GM wants to reuse stuff they planned but the players avoided by going in the “wrong” direction, or when a tavern gets burned down (why is it always the players who are blamed when something burns down?). But if the GM can think of consequences quickly enough, the prepped encounters can be forgotten about this session always be reused sessions down the line, when it story appropriate. I had a similar situations, when I had hidden the aliens invasion plan in a county house which the players burned down, strafing any survivors from the air. There were no clues coming out of that conflagration. So the campaign “alien invasion” theme took a back seat, and let. PTSD drive the sessions for a while.

Talking of PTSD, The Fall of Delta Green. I love Gumshoe games, but they are an acquired taste. The single d6 seems to be a problem for some more experienced players, even though the power of success/failure is in their hands. In contrast total RPG newbies I have played with love it and it’s converted at least one to RPGs in general. But (listener) Jason can’t get too cross about the players expressing their reservations – running a “one-shot” invites exactly this sort of feedback.

D.T.Pints
      D.T.Pints

I’m very excited to play Fall of Delta Green.  As a child of a Vietnam War Veteran I’ve always had a fascination with that era.  Now that the world feels so embroiled in political and social upheaval it feels even more worthwhile to visit the chaos of the late 60’s and early 70’s.  But with tentacles.

D.T.Pints
      D.T.Pints

And speaking of burning the inn down…2100 posts on the old forum…*chucks molotov over his shoulder*.  A reminder to write shorter posts….never know when they might just burn it all down.  😀

Cheers!

BattleMatt
    BattleMatt

Excited to learn more about The Gauntlet! 👍 I had previously heard it mentioned through the “+1 Forward” podcast.

Uncommonman
    Uncommonman

I found the gauntlet a while back when I was looking for a Mutant AP.

Props to Jason for good gaming.

The AP I found:

https://youtu.be/IwPMQodOnrA

temmogen
    temmogen

I feel for “Yet another Jason” his pain is mine.

d47
    d47

Another great show with great hosts (as always, but especially nice to hear “Mills” back) and an interesting guest.

Why so short? Boo hoo. Is the new time limit a U-toob thing? Could you maybe break the show in to two parts if that is the issue. This show, especially, it seemed like a terrible waste of talent.

Please, please, can I have some more?

jimto

As an opposing viewpoint on the time limit, I love the shorter episodes. The 60-75 minute time frame gives us a tighter show where they hosts still have time to expand on things as needed. It also means I can keep up with the weekly shows and not fall way behind because it’s not taking 4 days of commutes to finish an episode.

Now…..bring back Windy Drawers please.

d47
    d47

I felt like most of the hosts on this episode barely spoke, especially since a lot of time was given to the guest. If shorter shows are going to be the new practice, then the panel should probably be smaller.

I like longer shows because I listen to them running. I guess I could relisten to the backlog!

EricfromNJ
    EricfromNJ

The whole Gauntlet thing was interesting. Not particularly my cup of tea because I don’t really have much time to play games, but admittedly I would love to go through whatever they called GM orientation purely to see what I could learn from it. Even after almost 40 years I could always learn new things as a GM

BattleMatt
      BattleMatt

Yeah, the GM orientation would be cool to check out. I wonder if they’d offer it as an online course?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.