How do you pronounce L-I-C-H ?

Recent Activity Community How do you pronounce L-I-C-H ?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Kimi 2 days, 6 hours ago.

• Author
    Radzap
    Radzap

I was on the phone with a friend the other day and my chum was telling me about an old D&D campaign and said:

“…the leader of the syndicate was an ancient *LICK* (re: Lich – undead mage dude) that we had to defeat with blood magic.”

Not wanting to kick off a debate about how to pronounce the word in the middle of my friend’s story, I shelved the issue and eventually forgot about it until today. Now it’s sorta buggin me. I’ve pronounced it Lich (rhymes with itch) since I first saw the word decades ago, but I have known folks to say:

Lich:

leash (liʃ),

leetch (liʧ), and

li-“clearing your throat sound”(liħ)

I suppose these are all fair. I checked the Monster Manual and it uses the “es” plural suffix so I suppose that puts a dagger in the LICK pronunciation because it would be damn silly to say “The three LICKES approach from the South.”

What’s your take on this?

Please complete the required fields.

bobcatt
    bobcatt
    Patreon Supporter

I had always heard it as ‘rhymes-with-witch’, until I started listening to podcasts.

Kairaku
    Kairaku

I found this utube video on the subject. Other than his repeated repititions on how tired he is it is a very good explanation of the etymology of the word Lich.

From years of reading my wife’s dissertations on Old and Middle English, this guy is saying the right things.

Radzap
      Radzap

Glad I watched this. Now I can proudly say Lich (rhymes with itch) in public without fear of controversy. I’ll let my friend pronounce it anyway he Leichs for now.  😀

David Wetzel
    Patreon Supporter

I’ve always pronounced it like the German ich but with an l in front… I’m not sure quite how to explain it, it’s sort of a hissy noise… closer to leak but make the k soft and hiss a bit.

I have heard all sorts of pronunciations from lick to litch to leesh…

BattleMatt
    BattleMatt

“The jibbering jamer.” 😉

EricaOdd
    EricaOdd

It depends on if you’re speaking Old English or modern English…

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/449446/how-to-pronounce-lich

Originally its pronunciation was actually closer to “like” (with a voiced K or KH like) than “lick” or “litch.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lychgate

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by EricaOdd.

lightningcat

I go with the rhymes with itch or witch version.

I also say that drow rhymes with cow, so take that how you will.

Radzap
      Radzap

I also pronounce Drow like Cow. It was the way my 1st DM pronounced it and now I say it just to trigger all the Drizzy-T fanboys. I love to see the corner of their eyes twitch.

Stork
    Host

Back in the day, we settled on “Like” as in the word Lichen. The Lich/Itch didn’t seem right because it had no ‘t’, and “lick” was right out as it made us all giggle.  But I will watch that video as I’m sure that it is a very old word and modern pronunciation and rules probably don’t apply.

Ayslyn
      Ayslyn

“Rich”, “Which”, and “Niche” would like to have a chat with you about this “must have a T” rule you suggest…

Stork
      Host

Nouveau rich is pronounced reesh (I guess since its French its actually Riche) and and thus does Niche sound the same.  “Which” has that h, and Im not gonna post the Family Guy bit about that.  But I get your point, we went round and round on it as well.  But too this day I have to stop myself from calling them a Lich a Like.

Oh and later on I discovered that the some Brits call “Liken” “Litchen” so its all a moot point now…

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Stork.
      Kairaku
      Kairaku

Niche and Lichen are both meant to have a very soft ‘T’ after the I, because originally they did. The T was dropped at some point. They both come from the Germanic. Which also comes from the Germanic, but had a different root and route 😉 .

whodo
      whodo
      Patreon Supporter

Gah! Using the with a t pronunciation of niche always gets to me and more often than not I have to conciously pause to make sense of what has just been said. Neesh not nitch!

MasterVidar
    MasterVidar
    Patreon Supporter

Most of my characters pronounce it as “RUN!”

EricfromNJ
    EricfromNJ

Yeah when it comes to these words no matter what people say I am probably going to still pronounce them the same way I have been for the past 38 years.

EricaOdd
    EricaOdd

As for me, I’ve always used the ‘rhymes with witch’ pronunciation.

JoeGun
    JoeGun

I’ve always rhymed with witch.

Kimi
    Kimi
    Host

This is a very interesting discussion! I’ve always said it like “itch” but wow!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.