Let me tell you about my character: Korbin

Recent Activity RPG Discussion Let me tell you about my character: Korbin

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Northman 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author
    Northman
    Northman

Our D&D 5e campaign has been going for about 7 months. In it, I’m playing a Hexblade Warlock, Korbin, whose presumably terrible parents promised him to the Raven Queen at birth, marking him with a jet-black left eye which he hides beneath a patch. This came to fruition at the start of the campaign, when he awoke days after his untimely demise with no explanation and mysterious new abilities.

Like all of our campaigns, this is a homebrew worlds. So I knew that this RQ wasn’t necessarily the one from canon. Things got a bit strange when she started speaking to my character and attempting to convince him to kill specific people, while hexed in some way, so she could claim their souls. As the story unfolded further, I recently learned that Korbin’s patron was indeed the queen of the Shadowfell, but in this version she took the form of the head of a massive coven of hags who invoked a ritual to create their own realm after being banished from the Feywild, only to have it stolen by their leader as she took sole possession of the new realm – a dark veil wrapping itself around and between the planes in any place where wild lands exist – as she ascended to near-godhood.

This has been a great story so far, but now I have a conundrum. The Raven Queen makes for a great patron for an antihero, or just a good guy with a bit of shadow and uncertainty about them. But I didn’t sign on to be the servant of something that was unambiguously evil. Korbin is Chaotic Good, a former criminal who had a bit of a robin hood robbery crew selling discounted goods to the inhabitants of the lower city as quickly as they could be stolen from rich merchants’ caravans, but he’s by no means evil. Now he’s faced with the idea that even though he shares a common enemy with this being – the hags have returned to turn our world into their new realm after the first was stolen – she’s badbadbad. Anyone he kills while using his pact feature or certain spells has their soul damned feed her power. The weapon he uses to fight evil and protect his friends is literally made of the stuff from her realm. He’s already tried to distance himself from her even before this revelation (Warlock 5/Bard 1) when she began to make demands, but now his entire source of power terrifies him, and he has no idea what the terms of this pact were.

Our next session is tomorrow. Possible plans include:

1. Not getting killed by the group’s paladin, who’s always assumed he was a bad guy even before this discovery.

2. Seeking out a cult of her worshipers and trying to determine the nature of the pact so it can be broken.

3. Finding a bigger patron to try and pact with and overwrite the RQ’s claim.

4. Surviving (and not getting any party members killed) without using a large chunk of my class features/abilities till this all gets sorted.

It’s going to be a good story, I think, but I am definitely in a bind after being hit with some character details that I didn’t exactly sign up for. Input and advice would be grand. šŸ™‚

Please complete the required fields.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by Northman.
    • This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by Northman.
    Kairaku
    Kairaku

Korbin, whose presumably terrible parents promised him to the Raven Queen at birth

They may not be terrible. Other options that might make for a very different perspective are:

1. They did it to save their own/family’s/community’s lives/souls – a sacrifice to save the greater good. Think of the Greeks or Incas – Gods/Godesses were to be placated, not trusted in.
    2. The Goddess had been misrepresented to them and they thought they were doing good. In many faiths Death is a patient welcoming representation
    3. They believed that they were improving Korbin’s lot in life. Giving him to the church may have lifted him out of abject poverty and given him a chance at wealth/power/not starving.
    4. It was the tradition and expected…”an heir, a spare, one for the church and one for the sword”
    5. They had no choice, Korbin was taken from them and the church lied saying he was given up so that it removed any familial links.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Kairaku.
    Kairaku
    Kairaku

Ā the servant of something that was unambiguously evil.

Can you talk this through with your GM? Is s/he adamant that the Raven Queen is a force for evil, or is this just your conclusion? I can see oh so many directions to take this that put a different light to your “unambiguously evil” statement.

Why were they banished from the Feywild? One person’s terrorist is another’s freedom fighter. An example of this is in Irish mythology. The Tuatha De Danann (the Fae) are seen as noble while the Fomorians are seen as evil. However theĀ Fomorians inhabited Ireland before the arrival of theĀ Tuatha De Danann. Initially the Tuatha De Danann must pay tribute to the Fomorians, but then they rebel and theĀ Fomorians were driven from their lands. Were the Fomorians truely evil, or were they just trying to hold onto their lands? The victors make the histories, so the Fomorian’s evil may just be propoganda.

Couldn’t the creation of their own lands be seen as a solution that didn’t involve going to war, with its attendant cost in the lives of the participants? Isn’t this similar to the ideal solution in our real world? The creation of a state for a displaced populace without the taking of lands from existing peoples?

Why did the RQ usurp the new realm?Ā  Was it because she was evil, or because she came to the realisation that her compatriots (the other hags) were going to misuse the newly created dimension and she was the only one with the power and vision to thwart their plans? Was this maybe her plan all along, once she found out that the hags intended to create another realm? Go along with it until a point that she could take their power from them for the greater good? Did she not save both the Feywild and the prime plane through her actions? Is not the Hag’s current actions proof that she should have wrested dominion from them?

Anyone he kills while using his pact feature or certain spells has their soul damned feed her power

Why are their souls damned? Do they go to some other place to be tormented? Or is this actually just her using the energy that is provided by the death? She is the goddess of death, so of course she doesn’t want the souls to be reincarnated etc. Aren’t those spells actually heretical, akin to necromancy, in a place where there is a pantheon of god(esses) including death? Isn’t she just taking what is her due?

The weapon he uses to fight evil and protect his friends is literally made of the stuff from her realm.

Isn’t this the same as any other cleric? They use the material provided by their God(ess) to perform miracles for the furtherance of their faith. Isn’t the fact that he is using these weapons to fight evil and protect his friends irrefutable evidence that his patron is a force for good, or at least balance? Surely if she were evil the RQ would not allow her power to be used to such affect?

Kairaku
    Kairaku

Oh and isn’t sophistry such a cool sounding word too šŸ˜‰ ?

Northman
    Northman
    • We discovered that, prior to some swordpoint-missionary work by the church our cleric and paladin belong to, there was an old faith in the area which primarily revered and made sacrifice to the hags, as they had settled in large numbers in the area following their exile. We also found out that the church in-question was a lot more zealous than the characters believed, complete with an illustration of the paladin’s own sword chopping a treant to bits in an ancient journal.
    • Leaving open the chance that the RQ is at least misunderstood, the hags themselves are unapologetically evil, with Night Hags (the fiendish/demonic versions) often in charge of other areas. The dryad told us that even though the capricious fey can seem inhuman, or even evil, in their interactions with mortals, the hags were far too much for even the other fey to abide, and were exiled.
    • I talked through the predicament with our GM, and he’s been really receptive. I basically said that I’m not interested in anything Korbin would know is making an evil being stronger, but that I’m also open to any manner of patron switching, class re-training, etc, whether it’s rules-as-written or not.
    • The RQ has done her typically good job of all but scrubbing her identity and story from mortal records, so we’ve only got the dryad’s word so far.
    • We survived our first session with Korbin shelving his powers and grabbing a quarterstaff from the traveling elven encampment they’re staying with for now. Mostly because we avoided combat completely. šŸ™‚
    • I hadn’t thought of the ‘desperate pact’ idea. That would be a very interesting twist to backstory.
    • No real new information to offer, but we’ve been pointed to a hermetic hag living in the woods who is described as an evil creature by the Elven leader, but one that he has done business with in the past. The ring of hag skulls around her hut seem to indicate that she’s not bullshitting about having no love for her sisters, but what price will she ask for the knowledge we seek?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Northman.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Northman.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.